Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Beacon(0.01126 detik)
Found 3 items, similar to Beacon.
English → Indonesian (quick)
English → English (WordNet)
n 1: a fire (usually on a hill or tower) that can be seen from a
distance [syn: beacon fire]
2: a radio station that broadcasts a directional signal for
navigational purposes [syn: radio beacon]
3: a tower with a light that gives warning of shoals to passing
ships [syn: lighthouse, beacon light, pharos]
v 1: shine like a beacon
2: guide with a beacon
English → English (gcide)
Beacon \Bea"con\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Beaconed (b[=e]"k'nd);
p. pr. & vb. n. Beaconing.]
1. To give light to, as a beacon; to light up; to illumine.
That beacons the darkness of heaven. --Campbell.
2. To furnish with a beacon or beacons.
Beacon \Bea"con\ (b[=e]"k'n), n. [OE. bekene, AS. be['a]cen,
b[=e]cen; akin to OS. b[=o]kan, Fries. baken, beken, sign,
signal, D. baak, OHG. bouhhan, G. bake; of unknown origin.
1. A signal fire to notify of the approach of an enemy, or to
give any notice, commonly of warning.
No flaming beacons cast their blaze afar. --Gay.
2. A signal, such as that from a lighthouse, or a conspicuous
mark erected on an eminence near the shore, or moored in
shoal water, as a guide to mariners.
3. A high hill near the shore. [Prov. Eng.]
4. That which gives notice of danger.
Modest doubt is called
The beacon of the wise. --Shak.
5. (Navigation) a radio transmitter which emits a
characteristic signal indication its location, so that
vehicles may determine their exact location by locating
the beacon with a radio compass; -- also called radio beacon
5. [fig.] that which provides guidance or inspiration; the
Constitution has been a beacon for civil rights activists.
Beacon fire, a signal fire.