Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Atlases(0.02509 detik)
Found 4 items, similar to Atlases.
English → Indonesian (quick)
Indonesian → English (quick)
English → English (WordNet)
n 1: (Greek mythology) a Titan who was forced by Zeus to bear the
sky on his shoulders
2: a collection of maps in book form [syn: book of maps, map collection
3: the 1st cervical vertebra [syn: atlas vertebra]
4: a figure of a man used as a supporting column [syn: telamon]
English → English (gcide)
Atlas \At"las\, n.; pl. Atlases. [L. Atlas, -antis, Gr. ?, ?,
one of the older family of gods, who bears up the pillars of
heaven; also Mt. Atlas, in W. Africa, regarded as the pillar
of heaven. It is from the root of tlh^nai to bear. See
1. One who sustains a great burden.
2. (Anat.) The first vertebra of the neck, articulating
immediately with the skull, thus sustaining the globe of
the head, whence the name.
3. A collection of maps in a volume;
Note: supposed to be so called from a picture of Atlas
supporting the world, prefixed to some collections.
This name is said to have been first used by Mercator,
the celebrated geographer, in the 16th century.
4. A volume of plates illustrating any subject.
5. A work in which subjects are exhibited in a tabular from
or arrangement; as, an historical atlas.
6. A large, square folio, resembling a volume of maps; --
called also atlas folio.
7. A drawing paper of large size. See under Paper, n.
Atlas powder, see Atlas powder in the vocabulary; a
blasting compound containing nitroglycerin.