Found 1 items, similar to As broad as long.
English → English
Definition: As broad as long
(br[add]d), a. [Compar. Broader
(br[add]d"[~e]r); superl. Broadest
.] [OE. brod, brad, AS.
br[=a]d; akin to OS. br[=e]d, D. breed, G. breit, Icel.
brei[eth]r, Sw. & Dan. bred, Goth. braids. Cf. Breadth
1. Wide; extend in breadth, or from side to side; -- opposed
; as, a broad street, a broad table; an inch
2. Extending far and wide; extensive; vast; as, the broad
expanse of ocean.
3. Extended, in the sense of diffused; open; clear; full.
“Broad and open day.”
4. Fig.: Having a large measure of any thing or quality; not
limited; not restrained; -- applied to any subject, and
retaining the literal idea more or less clearly, the
precise meaning depending largely on the substantive.
A broad mixture of falsehood. --Locke.
5. Comprehensive; liberal; enlarged.
The words in the Constitution are broad enough to
include the case. --D. Daggett.
In a broad, statesmanlike, and masterly way. --E.
6. Plain; evident; as, a broad hint.
7. Free; unrestrained; unconfined.
As broad and general as the casing air. --Shak.
8. (Fine Arts) Characterized by breadth. See Breadth
9. Cross; coarse; indelicate; as, a broad compliment; a broad
joke; broad humor.
10. Strongly marked; as, a broad Scotch accent.
Note: Broad is often used in compounds to signify wide,
large, etc.; as, broad-chested, broad-shouldered,
. See under Acre
, originally a pheon. See Pheon
, and Broad arrow
As broad as long
, having the length equal to the breadth;
hence, the same one way as another; coming to the same
result by different ways or processes.
It is as broad as long, whether they rise to others,
or bring others down to them. --L'Estrange.
. See under Pennant
Syn: Wide; large; ample; expanded; spacious; roomy;
extensive; vast; comprehensive; liberal.