Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Abstemious(0.01929 detik)
Found 2 items, similar to Abstemious.
English → English (WordNet)
adj 1: sparing in consumption of especially food and drink; “the
pleasures of the table, never of much consequence to
one naturally abstemious”- John Galsworthy [ant: gluttonous]
2: marked by temperance in indulgence; “abstemious meals”; “a
light eater”; “a light smoker”; “ate a light supper” [syn:
English → English (gcide)
Abstemious \Ab*ste"mi*ous\, a. [L. abstemius; ab, abs + root of
temetum intoxicating drink.]
1. Abstaining from wine. [Orig. Latin sense.]
Under his special eye
Abstemious I grew up and thrived amain. --Milton.
2. Sparing in diet; refraining from a free use of food and
strong drinks; temperate; abstinent; sparing in the
indulgence of the appetite or passions.
Instances of longevity are chiefly among the
3. Sparingly used; used with temperance or moderation; as, an
abstemious diet. --Gibbon.
4. Marked by, or spent in, abstinence; as, an abstemious
life. “One abstemious day.” --Pope.
5. Promotive of abstemiousness. [R.]
Such is the virtue of the abstemious well. --Dryden.