Found 1 items, similar to Setting dog.
English → English
Definition: Setting dog
1. The act of one who, or that which, sets; as, the setting
of type, or of gems; the setting of the sun; the setting
(hardening) of moist plaster of Paris; the setting (set)
of a current.
2. The act of marking the position of game, as a setter does;
also, hunting with a setter. --Boyle.
3. Something set in, or inserted.
Thou shalt set in it settings of stones. --Ex.
4. That in which something, as a gem, is set; as, the gold
setting of a jeweled pin.
5. the time, place, and circumstances in which an event (real
or fictional) occurs; as, the setting of a novel.
(Arch.), the finishing or last coat of
plastering on walls or ceilings.
, a setter. See Setter
, n., 2.
, a pole, often iron-pointed, used for pushing
boats along in shallow water.
. (Print.) A composing rule.