Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: To crown a knot(0.01125 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to To crown a knot.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: To crown a knot
Crown \Crown\ (kroun), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Crowned (kround);
p. pr. & vb. n. Crowning.] [OE. coronen, corunen, crunien,
crounien, OF. coroner, F. couronner, fr. L. coronare, fr.
corona a crown. See Crown, n.]
1. To cover, decorate, or invest with a crown; hence, to
invest with royal dignity and power.
Her who fairest does appear,
Crown her queen of all the year. --Dryden.
Crown him, and say, “Long live our emperor.”
2. To bestow something upon as a mark of honor, dignity, or
recompense; to adorn; to dignify.
Thou . . . hast crowned him with glory and honor.
--Ps. viii. 5.
3. To form the topmost or finishing part of; to complete; to
consummate; to perfect.
Amidst the grove that crowns yon tufted hill.
One day shall crown the alliance. --Shak.
To crown the whole, came a proposition. --Motley.
4. (Mech.) To cause to round upward; to make anything higher
at the middle than at the edges, as the face of a machine
5. (Mil.) To effect a lodgment upon, as upon the crest of the
glacis, or the summit of the breach.
To crown a knot (Naut.), to lay the ends of the strands
over and under each other.