Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Lanius Ludovicianus(0.00841 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Lanius Ludovicianus.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: Lanius Ludovicianus
Loggerhead \Log"ger*head`\, n. [Log + head.]
1. A blockhead; a dunce; a numskull. --Shak. Milton.
2. A spherical mass of iron, with a long handle, used to heat
3. (Naut.) An upright piece of round timber, in a whaleboat,
over which a turn of the line is taken when it is running
out too fast. --Ham. Nav. Encyc.
4. (Zo["o]l.) A very large marine turtle (Thalassochelys caretta
syn. Thalassochelys caouana), common in the
warmer parts of the Atlantic Ocean, from Brazil to Cape
Cod; -- called also logger-headed turtle.
5. (Zo["o]l.) An American shrike (Lanius Ludovicianus),
similar to the butcher bird, but smaller. See Shrike.
To be at loggerheads, To fall to loggerheads, or To go to loggerheads
, to quarrel; to be at strife. --L' Estrange.
butcher bird \butcher bird\, butcher-bird \butcher-bird\,
1. (Zo["o]l.) any species of shrike of the genus Lanius, so
called because they impale their prey on thorns.
[1913 Webster + WordNet 1.5]
2. (Zo["o]l.) large carnivorous Australian bird with the
shrikelike habit of impaling prey on thorns.
Note: The Lanius excubitor is the common butcher bird of
Europe. In England, the bearded tit is sometimes called
the lesser butcher bird. The American species are
Lanius borealis, or northern butcher bird, and
Lanius Ludovicianus or loggerhead shrike. The name
butcher bird is derived from its habit of suspending
its prey impaled upon thorns, after killing it.