Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Lanius Ludovicianus (0.02048 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Lanius Ludovicianus.
English → English
Definition: Lanius Ludovicianus
, n. [Log + head.]
1. A blockhead; a dunce; a numskull. --Shak. Milton.
2. A spherical mass of iron, with a long handle, used to heat
3. (Naut.) An upright piece of round timber, in a whaleboat,
over which a turn of the line is taken when it is running
out too fast. --Ham. Nav. Encyc.
4. (Zo["o]l.) A very large marine turtle (Thalassochelys caretta
syn. Thalassochelys caouana
), common in the
warmer parts of the Atlantic Ocean, from Brazil to Cape
Cod; -- called also logger-headed turtle
5. (Zo["o]l.) An American shrike (Lanius Ludovicianus
similar to the butcher bird, but smaller. See Shrike
To be at loggerheads
, To fall to loggerheads
, or To go to loggerheads
, to quarrel; to be at strife. --L' Estrange.
butcher bird \butcher bird\
, butcher-bird \butcher-bird\
1. (Zo["o]l.) any species of shrike of the genus Lanius
called because they impale their prey on thorns.
[1913 Webster + WordNet 1.5]
2. (Zo["o]l.) large carnivorous Australian bird with the
shrikelike habit of impaling prey on thorns.
Note: The Lanius excubitor
is the common butcher bird of
Europe. In England, the bearded tit is sometimes called
the lesser butcher bird
. The American species are
, or northern butcher bird
or loggerhead shrike
. The name
butcher bird is derived from its habit of suspending
its prey impaled upon thorns, after killing it.