Found 2 items, similar to Chaparral cock.
English → English
Definition: chaparral cock
n : speedy largely terrestrial bird found from California and
Mexico to Texas [syn: roadrunner
, Geococcyx californianus
English → English
Definition: Chaparral cock
, n. [Sp., fr. chaparro an evergeen
1. A thicket of low evergreen oaks.
2. An almost impenetrable thicket or succession of thickets
of thorny shrubs and brambles.
; fem. Chaparral hen
(Zo["o]l.), a bird of
the cuckoo family (Geococcyx Californianus
), noted for
running with great speed. It ranges from California to
Mexico and eastward to Texas; -- called also road runner
, ground cuckoo
, and snake killer
is the state bird of New Mexico.
[1913 Webster +PJC]
(k[o^]k), n. [AS. coc; of unknown origin, perh. in
imitation of the cry of the cock. Cf. Chicken
1. The male of birds, particularly of gallinaceous or
2. A vane in the shape of a cock; a weathercock.
Drenched our steeples, drowned the cocks! --Shak.
3. A chief man; a leader or master. [Humorous]
Sir Andrew is the cock of the club, since he left
4. The crow of a cock, esp. the first crow in the morning;
He begins at curfew, and walks till the first cock.
5. A faucet or valve.
Note: Jonsons says, “The handle probably had a cock on the
top; things that were contrived to turn seem anciently
to have had that form, whatever was the reason.”
Skinner says, because it used to be constructed in
forma crit[ae] galli, i.e., in the form of a cock's
6. The style of gnomon of a dial. --Chambers.
7. The indicator of a balance. --Johnson.
8. The bridge piece which affords a bearing for the pivot of
a balance in a clock or watch. --Knight.
9. a penis. [vulgar]
. See under Ball
. See under Chaparral
Cock and bull story
, an extravagant
, boastful story; a
Cock of the plains
(Zo["o]l.) See Sage cock
Cock of the rock
(Zo["o]l.), a South American bird
) having a beautiful crest.
Cock of the walk
, a chief or master; the hero of the hour;
one who has overcrowed, or got the better of, rivals or
Cock of the woods
. See Capercailzie