Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Chair days(0.01114 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Chair days.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: Chair days
Chair \Chair\ (ch[^a]r), n. [OE. chaiere, chaere, OF. chaiere,
chaere, F. chaire pulpit, fr. L. cathedra chair, armchair, a
teacher's or professor's chair, Gr. ? down + ? seat, ? to
sit, akin to E. sit. See Sit, and cf. Cathedral,
1. A movable single seat with a back.
2. An official seat, as of a chief magistrate or a judge, but
esp. that of a professor; hence, the office itself.
The chair of a philosophical school. --Whewell.
A chair of philology. --M. Arnold.
3. The presiding officer of an assembly; a chairman; as, to
address the chair.
4. A vehicle for one person; either a sedan borne upon poles,
or two-wheeled carriage, drawn by one horse; a gig.
Think what an equipage thou hast in air,
And view with scorn two pages and a chair. --Pope.
5. An iron block used on railways to support the rails and
secure them to the sleepers.
Chair days, days of repose and age.
To put into the chair, to elect as president, or as
chairman of a meeting. --Macaulay.
To take the chair, to assume the position of president, or
of chairman of a meeting.