Found 1 items, similar to Bear baiting.
English → English
Definition: Bear baiting
(b[^a]r), n. [OE. bere, AS. bera; akin to D. beer,
OHG. bero, pero, G. b["a]r, Icel. & Sw. bj["o]rn, and
possibly to L. fera wild beast, Gr. fh`r beast, Skr. bhalla
1. (Zo["o]l.) Any species of the genus Ursus
, and of the
closely allied genera. Bears are plantigrade Carnivora
but they live largely on fruit and insects.
Note: The European brown bear (Ursus arctos
), the white
polar bear (Ursus maritimus
), the grizzly bear
), the American black bear, and its
variety the cinnamon bear (Ursus Americanus
Syrian bear (Ursus Syriacus
), and the sloth bear, are
among the notable species.
2. (Zo["o]l.) An animal which has some resemblance to a bear
in form or habits, but no real affinity; as, the woolly
bear; ant bear; water bear; sea bear.
3. (Astron.) One of two constellations in the northern
hemisphere, called respectively the Great Bear
, or Ursa Major
and Ursa Minor
4. Metaphorically: A brutal, coarse, or morose person.
5. (Stock Exchange) A person who sells stocks or securities
for future delivery in expectation of a fall in the
Note: The bears and bulls of the Stock Exchange, whose
interest it is, the one to depress, and the other to
raise, stocks, are said to be so called in allusion to
the bear's habit of pulling down, and the bull's of
6. (Mach.) A portable punching machine.
7. (Naut.) A block covered with coarse matting; -- used to
scour the deck.
. (Zo["o]l.) See Koala
, the sport of baiting bears with dogs.
(Zo["o]l.), the hairy larva of a moth,
esp. of the genus Euprepia
(a) A place where bears are kept for diversion or
(b) Any place where riotous conduct is common or
permitted. --M. Arnold.
, one who leads about a performing bear for
money; hence, a facetious term for one who takes charge of
a young man on his travels.